Thursday, May 21, 2009

Living Colour vs the Man

Had to share this fantastic story that was told to me by an extremely talented bassist who happens to be currently touring with Vernon Reid (guitarist in Living Colour) through Europe.

In 2007, Guitar Hero III came out with a bang, as the previous entries in the series had redefined music gaming.  One of my personal FAVORITES to play from this entry is the 1988 Living Colour anthem "Cult Of Personality" from the album Vivid.  Now, with Guitar Hero Smash Hits coming out next month, that song is being released AGAIN, but playable as the full band.  Something to look forward to, and also the reason I thought to relay this story.

But the real story is that while playing GHIII, I noticed that the date on "Cult of Personality" was 2007, rather than 1988.  Never paid much attention to it until said bass player and I were talking, and he told me this story.

The record label that originally released Vivid had (like many labels) upset the band over the years.  I don't know all the details, but I DO know it wasn't a happy marriage.  So when they were approached to put this song onto the game, the band reunited and completely re-recorded the song for the game.  Thus the date of 2007, and thus NOT sharing in all the licensing money with the label.

Score one for Living Colour, and for all the fans that can now rock out come June.

No comments:

Post a Comment