Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Two passions - together again

To mix it up a bit today I thought I'd put together two of my biggest passions: music & wine.

It's relatively common knowledge that many golfers have turned to making wine (Greg Norman being the most prominent), and even TV stars (Fred MacMurray). But what about rock stars?Where is the music angle?

I'm telling you that such a thing does exist.  

I'm inspired to write this as a result of the current Queensryche tour, and subsequent article in Wine Spectator regarding Geoff Tate's (lead singer of said band, for those unaware) new wine.  You can check out that article here.

http://www.winespectator.com/Wine/Features/0,1197,4694,00.html

I have high hopes for this.  Not so much that I think Tate will be a future star winemaker (he is not making this wine, Holly Turner is) but that I think red blends from Washington state are some of the most interesting wines being made in the U.S. currently.  Not to mention that had the Seattle native not made his wine in Washington, I'm sure he would have heard about it!

This isn't the first time a rocker has tried a hand in winemaking.  I had a very interesting and massive red wine back in 2005 that was commissioned by Vince Neil of Motley Crue.  You can read a little about that short endeavor here.

http://volunteer.blogs.com/winewaves/2006/01/more_vince_neil.html

Don't try to go to the website though, the wine has since gone away.

I have been impressed recently with the opening and success of City Winery in NYC, which is Michael Dorf's impression of how to morph the two.  Rather than create just a label, he has created a wine bar, restaurant, concert venue, and a barrel cellar all in one place.
I was lucky enough to have seen it when it was still a massive warehouse with nothing but Michael's vision and a blueprint to show you what it can be.  

Since then it has definitely taken off, and is a great spot to hit if you're a fan of live music & wine, or just one of the above.

http://www.citywinery.com

I'm very proud to be working in a city where rocking and swirling can live in the same space.




No comments:

Post a Comment