Friday, July 17, 2009

Yesterday and Today

Most people who know my musical sensibilities know that much of it lies in a period either before I was born, or before I was old enough to really get what I was listening to.

Now that I'm fully immersed back into the music world with BB3, I wonder if anyone else does the insane see-saw of decade / genre listening that I do.

Because of what I'm drawn to, I find myself often listening to 70's rock, prog-rock or 80's pop. Mixed with a decent does of soundtrack and jazz.

But through license searches, references, and just general curiosity I have also been tuning more and more to XMU, or just generally yearning to hear something new.

Certainly there's a huge difference between getting assaulted by 70's guitar riffs and listening to the sub-pop production stamp. However it is enjoyable to hear the homages being played to the older music, and also just the really solid quality of the current bands coming out and hitting the public.

This week my favorite discovery is Metric. Generally based out of Toronto, they are lead by singer Emily Haines and guitarist James Shaw and really do an amazing job of blending pop/rock/electric beat. Definitely good summer night music. Their new album Fantasies came out last month, and I have been listening to it steadily.

No doubt later on I will sufficiently inundate myself with a piece of nostalgia, probably in the form of Judas Priest (have been smiling and listening to them since seeing them live last Tuesday), and thus the ping pong continues.

1 comment: