Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Just in time for spring, Van Halen!

I was driving the other day and listening to the Deep Tracks station on XM (40 for those remotely interested) and I heard a song from VH that I hadn't heard in years: 
"Somebody Get me a Doctor" off of Van Halen II.

Instantly I was taken back to driving around in my 77 Ford Grenada blasting that album while enjoying the very FIRST hints of Spring and Summer in New England.  Seems like that time of year wasn't really there until I could hear the opening riff of "You're No Good".

Now, to make one thing very clear, I was not reveling over this season change as an early follower of VH (this album came out in 1979, when I was 6), I was simply a late devotee that was magnetized by how these four guys could make so much sound, and make it sound so FUN.

Obviously a lot has changed since then with the band, and the world.  They have replaced Dave with Sammy, replaced Sammy with Gary, only to go back to Dave.  And of course they decided now that Eddie's son Wolfgang is of age, it was time to replace Michael Anthony as well.

In all that time, some truly brilliant, and some less-than-brilliant tracks have been written and a LOT of drama has occurred, but to me the true essence of who this band is (was) as a talent and as an entity can best be found in the first two albums (arguably to be considered as one long album).  

Of course it's all completely subjective, but I can't think of a single band that captures the sound and energy of southern California circa late 1970's.  Between Eddie's groundbreaking guitar work, Alex's slamming drum mix, Michael Anthony's signature harmonies, and Dave's squeal, there is just an overall sense of "Good times" with everything they wrote.  Not to mention some of the most influential, infectious guitar riffs and hooks since Led Zeppelin.

As we're all craving the Spring and Summer (at least in my part of the world) I don't think you can go wrong not just playing, but truly listening to early Van Halen and I find it hard to believe you won't find yourself smiling just a little bit, and be convinced that the sun just became a few degrees warmer.

2 comments:

  1. i heard that rush actually opened for kiss for a whole tour..mid-70s..? why would i know that. is that the secret formula for VH? rush + kiss = VH

    spring! BB3! >> glen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you indirectly make a good point about VH these days. Eddie's son can probably play Michael Anthony's bass parts behind his back, but nobody can replicate the unique harmonies. It's almost more his instrument than the bass.
    And I think the Kiss+Rush equation has merit too. An thought provoking read (both blog and comment).

    ReplyDelete